Friday, August 26, 2016

You Put What on Your Skin

It is far too often that we simply walk into our local has everything store and buy whatever item is suggested or labeled as being best for our skin condition or ailment. We don't usually think twice about this item other than it's price and size. Most of us don't even read the ingredient list. That's a good habbit that you pick up when using Perfectly Posh products. They encourage you to read their ingredient list. The more I do this the more I compare it to other similar items in my house. Perfectly Posh more or less spells it out for you. You can understand what is going onto your skin. Other products are not the case. When I read these products ingredient list  I often have to Google ingredients that I can't even pronounce. And these items are often a little alarming.

Take Petrolatum for instance. Otherwise known as petroleum jelly. Safety regulation officials will be quick to say that petrolatum, which is a hydrocarbon derrived from the distillation of oil, is strictly tested for cosmetic grade use. They claim that their is little to no traces of PAH's (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons), which have been found by Columbia University to be present in breast cancer tumors. Scary right? Now rather it is organic hippie hype that petrolatum is bad for you or if it is a scientificly tested safe to use component of oil, I'm choosing to be cautious just in case.

So what got me on the petrolatum worry kick in the first place? I, like many people today love tattoos. I have nine at the moment and will certainly get more. I have been told what to put on a tattoo by each artst and what they prescribe varies. One artist said to use unscented lotion. Another says to use A & D ointment. And yet another swore on the use of Bag Balm. I have used all three of these suggested items and they vary in my opinion of them. All three items have either petroluem, lanolin, or a combination of the two. Now you might be thinking well what's wrong with Lanolin. Lanolin is a fatty substance that is extracted from lambs wool. It is used in oinmtnets, cosmetics, and as a waterproofing agent. Okay so you want me to put lamb skin oil and fat on my skin. Gross. Then I looked further into it and cheaper manufacturers may not be doing all that is necessary to remove all of the dirt and bacteria from lanolin before it is added to ointments, lotions, etc. Super gross. I want to save money on products, but not put myself in harms way.

So when I was told about The Healer Skin Stick from Perfectly Posh I went right to the ingredients list. Here is what I found: no lanolin, no petroleum.  I did find beeswax, orange oil, pink grapefruit oil, vanilla oil, shea butter, and vitamin E. That's it. And none of those ingredients raise a red flag or make me cringe. And I discovered that beeswax is a good source of vitamin A which reduces the itching associated with dry skin. It is also a moisturizer, humectant, and occlusive. So it draws and retains moisture in and on the skin. Beeswax is also antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory.  So when I get my next tattoo I will be using the skin stick to provide protection and moisturizing benefits. If you are interested in The Healer use this link to learn more www.perfectlyposh.com/christenemakin/healer-skin-stick


No comments:

Post a Comment